Graduate Diploma in Education
The Graduate Diploma in Advanced Professional Studies in Education (GDE) is designed for experienced teachers whose primary focus is school-based educational practice. It provides the opportunity to engage in focused, sustained reflective inquiry.
Completion of the 2-yr 30 credit diploma allows teachers to:
- upgrade from TQS category 4 to TQS category 5 or
- from 5 to 5+ or
- from 6 to 6+ (in districts with that category)
Applicants should posess both an undergraduate degree and a valid BC teaching certificate. Those without an undergraduate degree should review the requirements for professional upgrading before considering this program. Credits from other programs or institutions are not transferrable into this program.
Benefits of this Program
- an opportunity for an extended professional development experience in which teachers can inquire into their practice and explore professional questions of interest
- An opportunity to explore current theories and principles around a specific theme within content-specific and interdisciplinary learning
- an opportunity to engage in a collaborative learning community of 20-30 educators
- the ongoing support of a mentor and mentor group of 8-10 students
- the option of applying to ladder diploma credits into a Master of Education in Educational Practice after completion of this program (Note: acceptance into the MEd EP is not guaranteed); for more specific information, please see our MEd EP page
Location and Frequency
- Most GDE programs are developed and offered in collaboration with school districts in the Lower Mainland and around the province.
- New programs generally begin each January, May and September. (All programs require a minimum number of qualified applicants.)
- weekly readings (chapters and/or articles) with responses to prepare for class discussions
- engagement in program-specific projects
- ongoing maintenance of a reflective journal
- creation and implementation of teacher inquiry projects
- creation of a learning portfolio at the end of each term, plus other learning activities
For inquiries, please contact:
Field Programs, Faculty of Education